Job Title : Green Keeper Apprentice
Employer : Stoke By Nayland Golf and Leisure
Location : Colchester, Essex, CO6 4PZ
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01585
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to develop a career as a professional green keeper with one of the most prestigious golf clubs in the East of England
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-C or 9- 4. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Easton or Otley campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability.
Vacancy Full Description :
The successful applicant will be trained and mentored to cover the following standards:
• Maintain good standards of health and safety for self and others
• Prepare the golf course for play which will include removing early morning dew and debris from the greens, raking bunkers, moving tee markers, cutting new holes on greens
• Prepare and use equipment and machinery to maintain and renovate all turf surfaces within the golf course, including the use of tractors, ride-on machines, and specialist equipment
• Apply turf treatments to help produce quality playing surfaces, including fertilisers and top dressing Using a variety of integrated methods to control weeds, fungal diseases, pests and turf disorders
• Maintain and renovate bunkers and other hazards such as water features
• Maintain drainage and irrigation systems
• Prepare ground to establish turf and plants when maintaining, renovating and constructing golf course features
Knowledge and Understanding.
A Golf Greenkeeper must understand the following technical knowledge:
• Identify their role in monitoring and maintaining health and safety within the workplace
• Identification of a number of grasses, weeds, pests, diseases, turf disorders, plants and trees
• The primary aspects of soil and plant biology to include the process of germination photosynthesis, respiration and transpiration
• The principles of mowing and machine maintenance and their operation
• The need and implications of rolling, verti-cutting, scarification and aeration
• The strategies for controlling weeds, pests, diseases and turf disorders
• How fertilisers, top dressing and chemicals affect playing surfaces
• How course maintenance practices affect the environment
• Basic information technology
• Be aware of the importance of the Rules of Golf and golf course etiquette
• Recognise the importance of environmental and ecological best practice
• The operation of irrigation, drainage systems and their maintenance
The Behaviours of a Golf Greenkeeper: Golf club employers are very customer focused and require their apprentices to have a set of personal skills and behaviours that will ensure success in their current and future roles as an individual and in meeting the company’s aims and objectives. The behaviours required by golf club employees will be:
• Have a strong work ethic including pride in work, attention to detail, integrity and time management
• Have a flexible positive attitude to work
• Ability to work as a lone worker and as a member of a team
• A willingness to learn and contribute to their own continuing professional development
• Having a safety mindset for self, colleagues and golfers
• A clear and effective communicator who can use a variety of communication methods to give/receive information accurately and in a timely and positive manner
• Problem solving and effective decision making
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours per week. Mon-Fri. You will be rota'd to work every other Saturday or Sunday
Salary : £220.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 03/05/2019
Possible Start Date : 13/05/2019
Personal Qualities : Applicants should be keen to learn, enthusiastic and motivated to become an expert in this vocation. An interest in golf and horticulture would be advantageous.
Skills Required : The successful applicant will have an interest in learning and the ability to be punctual and flexible with their working hours. An understanding of customer service and good communication skills are important as this is a paramount aspect to the role.
Future Prospects : Long term prospects of a full time role along with further development are excellent for the successful applicant if they prove to be hardworking, flexible and enthusiastic,
Training to be Provided : Golf Greenkeeping Level 2 Standard including Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
Other Information : The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour (effective from 1 April 2019). This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Shortlisting and Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Consideration should be given to the physical nature of this role.
Work will be predominantly outdoors and you will be working in all weather conditions.
Events are often held which may necessitate flexibility in your working week.
You must be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times,
The map below shows the employer's location