Job Title : Horticulture and Landscaping Apprentice
Employer : Boast About The Garden
Location : Ipswich, Suffolk, IP9 1QD
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01570
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to begin a career with a well-established and prestigious local company
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-C or 9- 4. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Easton or Otley campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability.
Vacancy Full Description : Subject areas to be covered both in College and the work place.
• Methods used to measure and set out a site e.g. use of tape measures and measuring wheels, defining features by using string lines or aerosol markers, the principles in defining site levels using manual or electrical equipment.
• Marking out hazards such as services. Interpretation of construction drawings and specifications e.g. quantities, measurements and positioning. The safe use of abrasive wheels for cutting hard landscape materials during construction.
• Water feature construction methods e.g. linings, pumps, water courses
• Install various hard-landscape construction features and structures e.g. paths, patios, fences and walls. This will include basic brick laying, paving, timber decking, setting levels, services identification.
• Free hand cutting and bench cutting of hard landscape materials during construction using abrasive wheels.
• Assess and repair hard structures; evaluate hazards and damage and if appropriate carry out repair or report. Examples include broken drainage, rotten timber, cracked paving stone, frost damage brick work.
• Health and safety; health and safety regulation, legislation, policy and procedure and the responsibility of workers. Knowledge of hazards and working to strict health, safety, quality and environmental (HSQE) processes particularly appropriate to horticultural sites.
• Environmental; waste and waste reduction/recycling and environmental best practice. Prevention and control of local pollution incidents.
• Plant growth and development; plant nutrition and plant requirements. The principles of germination, photosynthesis, respiration and transpiration (the science of plant growth). How to care for plants correctly in different environments. The relationship between environmental conditions and plant growth.
• Tools, equipment and machinery; correct tools, equipment and machinery required for the job and the importance of maintenance / regular checks of these items to ensure they remain in good working order. Legal requirement of training by a competent person and familiarity with operator training and certification requirements.
• Vegetation control; how to control vegetation and methods of site clearance and removal of vegetation.
• Biosecurity; biosecurity and phytosanitary measures for pests and diseases and how these apply to work sites. Awareness of invasive alien species that may impact work methods.
• Plant identification; plant identification by scientific names including genus, species and cultivar. Know why and how plants are identified.
• Soil science; why, when and how to cultivate soils for differing purposes. Different growing media and mulches. How to modify soils for plant growth and understand the reasons for cultivation and drainage.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 35 hours a week – monday to friday - 8.30am - 4.00pm - 30 minute lunch break
Salary : £136.50 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 28/06/2019
Possible Start Date : 08/07/2019
Personal Qualities : You will understand the importance of good time keeping, good communication skills and the need to be flexible on hours.
Skills Required : Ideally you will have a passion for Horticulture and Landscaping, you will enjoy outdoor work creating high quality designs. You will have a desire to learn from a team of experienced professionals. You will have the dedication to undertake and successfully complete the new Horticultural Standard apprenticeship.
Future Prospects : For the right candidate who proves to be hard working, flexible on hours with the passion and desire to learn from an experienced team the long term prospects of a full time role and further development are excellent.
Training to be Provided : Landscape Operative Standard Level 2 including Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
College Attendance: Block release 1 week in 6 Easton Campus
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks. There may be the occasional need to attend either the Otley or Easton campus for short training courses and tests.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour with effect from 1st April 2017. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Apprentices need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in the industry with a contract of employment
Shortlisting/Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Consideration should be given to the physical nature of this role.
You will be dirty and uncomfortable during certain tasks.
You will be on your feet all day and may be working in difficult conditions including wet weather, very cold and very hot weather.
You will also need to be motivated to work hard without support and have a positive approach to the role
The map below shows the employer's location