Job Title : Agricultural Crop Production Apprentice
Employer : Boxford Suffolk Farms
Location : Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 5NY
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01566
Vacancy Short Description : working for a long established and prestigious organisation
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-C or 9- 4. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Easton or Otley campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability.
Vacancy Full Description : Your duties will include but not be limited to the following
• Health and safety legislation and codes of practice in relation to the job role/workplace including contingency/emergency plans
• Practical health and safety information to ensure everyone is safe in the workplace
• Environmental issues/legislation, codes of practice and company policies
• Importance of maintaining systems for record keeping and storage used within the organisation
• Maintenance/efficient use of machinery and equipment
• Preparation methods, timing of activities and aftercare requirements for the crops grown on-site
• Crop identification and establishment process including principles and methods
• Principles of plant growth and development and plant health
• Input costs, cost of production, margins and impact on business profitability
• Identification of key pests weeds and diseases and awareness of control mechanisms including potential impact on environment
• Relationship between environmental conditions (including weather), plant protection methods and crop growth
• Importance of maintaining good standards of hygiene and environmental control relating to crop/food storage (where relevant)
• Quality standards and specifications relevant to their business and their importance
• We operate both soil and container based growing systems and you will learn across both growing mediums
We have sites at multiple locations and it is expected that you will cover all aspects of our fruit production business, main sites are address above though you will need transport to get to all sites
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours per week with a half an hour unpaid lunch break
Salary : £220.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 31/05/2019
Possible Start Date : 10/06/2019
Personal Qualities : Ideally you will have a passion for agricultural work along with the desire to begin a career that allows you to develop to your full potential. An understanding of rural business which will require flexibility on hours especially during harvest time.
Skills Required : Bearing in mind the remote locations we operate in as well as the fact that you will be asked to gain experience across our multiple sites a driving License is required, previous experience desirable but not required.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour with effect from 1st April 2017. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Apprentices need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in the industry with a contract of employment
Working Week: Mon - Friday
40 hours per week
30 minutes unpaid lunch break
Shortlisting/Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Please bear in mind the physical nature of this role.
Predominantly this is outside work so you will at times be hot or cold and or wet.
Please bear in mind the remote locations we operate in without bus routes therefore the need for your own means of transport.
The map below shows the employer's location