Job Title : Agricultural Mixed Farming Apprentice
Employer : AH Pulford and Son
Location : Colchester, Essex, CO3 9TB
Position Type : Apprenticeship/Internship
Sector : Agriculture
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01565
Vacancy Short Description : A fantastic opportunity to begin a career in agriculture employed on a well established mixed cattle and arable farm.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability.
Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-E or 9- 2. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Vacancy Full Description : • Identify hazards and risks
• Risk assessments, Control risks
• Deal with hazardous and non-hazardous waste
• Maintain workplace security
• Provide employer with medical information
• Review performance and progress regularly with boss, college liaison officers and course tutor
• Communicate well with colleagues and boss
• Seek assistance with work appropriately
• Site clearance: removing remains of previous crop
(topping rape stubble, clearing bales etc)
• Any cultivations: Ploughing, cultivating, discing, rolling
• Crop walk (check weeds/pests/diseases, growth)
• Apply nutrients: Muck/slurry/fertiliser spreading.
• Record work done.
• Maintain spreaders
• Pre-start checks on tractor
• Operate and manoeuvre in safe and efficient manner
• Use drawbar and 3-point-linkage attachments, pto
and hydraulics should be used.
• Operate tractors on different ground conditions
/terrain/weather where possible
• Keep record of tractor hours/timesheet
• Identify suitable housing/environment
• Handle and inspect livestock
• Maintain equipment, dispose of waste
• Seek guidance where necessary
• Provide correct feed and water in right quantities
• Check quality of feed and water
• Check livestock feeding and drinking normally
• Keep feed records
• Use and maintain equipment correctly
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 40 hours Plus weekend and bank holiday as required.
Salary : £160.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 19/07/2019
Possible Start Date : 01/08/2019
Personal Qualities : Ideally you will have a driving licence or at least the intention of achieving as soon as possible, as tractors will need to be driven on the public highway.
In relation to this you should be aware of the remote location and how you will get to and from work each day.
Skills Required : The ideal candidate will have a passion for agricultural work.
You will be keen to learn from a very knowledgeable small team of co workers.
You will be flexible on hours depending on season and business requirements.
Future Prospects : For the right candidate who proves to be flexible on hours, with a passion for agriculture along with the care and wellbeing of livestock central to all they do, the long term prospects for a full time position with further training and development, are excellent.
Training to be Provided : Qualification: Level 2 Agriculture (Arable)
College Attendance: 1 block week at the Easton Campus during term-time.
Training for all job specific tasks will be given. In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks. There may be the occasional need to attend either the Otley or Easton campus for short training courses and tests.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour, effective from 1st April 2019. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Working Week: 40 hours per week plus weekends and bank holidays as required.
Shortlisting and Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : Consideration should be given to the physical nature of this role.
You will be on your feet for most of the day
At times as it is outdoor work you will be cold, wet or hot.
The map below shows the employer's location