Job Title : Greenhouse Worker (micro cress, peas and edible flowers nursery)
Employer : Nurtured In Norfolk Ltd
Location : Dereham, Norfolk, nr19 1np
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01549
Vacancy Short Description : Greenhouse worker / grower.
5 out of 7 days a week - some weekend work will be required.
Full-time, approx. 40hrs per week including breaks. Day shifts, start time depending on the season of the year. Candidates must be able to work some weekends.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-C or 9- 4. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Easton or Otley campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability.
Vacancy Full Description : Key job duties:
• Operating seeding machine.
• Heavy lifting and bending will be required due to the nature of the job.
• Sowing seeds and potting up.
• Cultivation, planting, irrigation, nutrition, general nursery maintenance and harvesting seed crops.
• Taking care of plants – watering, weeding, pruning, feeding and cutting back growth and general cleaning and tidying.
• Harvest, transplant, potting on.
• Evaluate quality of plants and crops, detecting presence of pests or disease.
• General nursery maintenance.
• Depending on the job, you could also pick, sort, label and package produce.
As a greenhouse worker, you will have:
• The ability to carry out physical manual work involving lifting, bending and carrying this is an essential requirement.
• A knowledge of plants and their care.
• Practical skills, ability in maths.
• The ability to understand and follow health and safety regulations.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : Monday to Friday approx 40hrs per week. Some weekend work might be required.
Salary : £156.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 01/03/2019
Possible Start Date : 11/03/2019
Personal Qualities : - good work ethics
- team work
- using own's initiative at work
- communicating efficiently with others
Skills Required : - good maths and English skills
- interest in horticulture
- ability to work in both hot and chilled environment
- ability to perform heavy lifting, bending, or other manual work
Future Prospects : You will gain experience within a busy commercial nursery production niche cress, peas and rare edible flowers and leaves. You will be able to observe and get involved in full life cycle of various plants from the seeding to production and dispatch stage. Due to the fast paced nature of our business you will be able to learn new things on a daily basis.
Training to be Provided : Production Horticulture qualifaction Level 2 including Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
Other Information : for the right candidate we might consider long term opportunity after the course is finished
Things to consider : - in the summer it's very hot in the greenhouses
- working hours might change as seasons change (by an hour or maybe two) but still remain approx 40 per week, therefore it;s important that reliable transport is available as 7:30 is the latest start time.
- sometimes employees are asked to help packing in the packroom which is chilled (4-7 degrees)
The map below shows the employer's location