Job Title : Apprentice Field Operative
Employer : Harrowden Turf Ltd
Location : Thetford, Norfolk, IP26 4JR
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Sector : Agriculture, Horticulture and Animal Care
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01525
Vacancy Short Description : An exciting opportunity for an Apprentice Field Operative has become available within the largest turf grower in the UK, with potato, wheat and other arable operations. We are looking for a punctual, reliable and hard-working individual.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-E or 9- 2. Evidence of qualifications will be required. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment. Assessment at Easton or Otley Campus may be required.
Vacancy Full Description : RESPONSIBLE TO: Arable Manager and Turf Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Arable production and harvesting tasks, turf production and harvesting operations, maintenance of equipment and General Farm Worker duties
PURPOSE OF JOB
1. To carry out a wide-range of arable duties
2. To carry out turf harvesting and turf production/maintenance operations
3. To satisfy customer needs to set deadlines.
4. To ensure the smooth running and operational activities within the Feltwell Farm and surrounding sites.
5. To carry out general farm worker duties
6. To ensure Quality Aspects are maintained
7. To carry out work within Health & Safety guidelines
1. To carry out tractor driving, fork truck driving (under supervision unless licenced/until licence gained), harvesting of turf and all facets of turf cultivation, maintenance and production.
2. To carry out arable duties such as cultivation, crop establishment, crop maintenance and harvest, including irrigation
3. To monitor and maintain quality while harvesting, mowing, spraying or generally working on or around fields
4. To net pallets and restack where required.
5. To react quickly and effectively to instructions to ensure manager and customer satisfaction
6. To ensure product is of the grade and standard for the customers’ needs
7. To ensure Customers’ Needs are fulfilled wherever practically possible
8. Loading of lorries, with turf, soil, potatoes, grain (under supervision unless licenced/until licence gained), – ensuring loading and dispatch to correct trailers
9. General maintenance of all farm, (arable and turf) machinery in line with Machinery manuals
10. Maintenance of Pallets
11. Completion of relevant Paper Work, Records etc. on a daily basis
1. Ensure Estate, yards and fields are kept in a tidy and proper manner
2. General Farm Worker duties
This is not an exhaustive list of duties, you may be asked to perform different tasks as necessitated by changing roles within the organisation.
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 40 hours pw, Monday-Sunday with a 30 min unpaid lunch break. Start / finish times flexible
Salary : £180.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 07/12/2018
Possible Start Date : 07/01/2019
Personal Qualities : The successful candidate will become involved in all aspects of the farm, including the arable operations as well as turf production, maintenance and harvest
Skills Required : The role requires a team player with a driving license
Future Prospects : Following successful completion of the Apprenticeship and based on your performance during the apprenticeship, it is envisaged that a permanent position will be available.
Training to be Provided : Intermediate Agriculture Level 2 qualifcation including Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
Other Information : If you require information on transport help, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.70 per hour with effect from 1st April 2018. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Apprentices need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in the industry with a contract of employment
Working Week: 40 hours pw, Monday-Sunday with a 30 min unpaid lunch break. Start / finish times flexible
Shortlisting/Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : You must have your own transport for this position due to lack of public transport near to the farm sites and the requirement to be very flexible with working times and locations. Accommodation may be available if required.
The map below shows the employer's location