Job Title : Outdoor Activities Leader Apprentice
Employer : X Adventure Development Centre
Location : Norwich, Norfolk, NR10 3DH
Position Type : Apprenticeship/Internship
Sector : Sport
Vacancy Reference : VAC-01394
Vacancy Short Description : Exciting, challenging, rewarding, make a difference to others, gain paid for qualifications whilst working. Develop yourself, develop your future.
Qualifications Required : Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades A-E or 9- 2. Evidence of qualifications will be required. Apprentices need to be employed for minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Vacancy Full Description : • Deliver and assist safe and effective activities in accordance with the aims, objectives of X Adventure and that of the client group.
• To assist, instruct and supervise challenging and stimulating outdoor activities and personal development programmes, appropriate to the individual’s qualifications and experience.
• To Liaise with client groups effectively, efficiently and professionally.
• Provide safe and appropriate briefings to clients, explaining and demonstrating activity content.
• Ensure excellent customer service at all times.
• You will deliver sub-contracted instructional and other work for local outdoor centres and companies in line with the needs of X Adventure.
• Keep activity records as appropriate.
• Ensure the welfare and safety of all guests throughout programmes and sessions.
• Be responsible for personal health and safety, conversant with current legislation relevant to the safe set up and running of activities / programme.
• Undertake regular checking and maintenance of equipment as necessary and in compliance with AALS guidelines / regulations.
• To take an active role in the maintenance and up keep of the centre grounds and activity sites.
• To take an active part in the cleaning of the whole centre when required.
• To ensure that any activity equipment is maintained to the highest standard and to report any defects or missing items.
• To play an active part in the development of X Adventure and the various programmes the company delivers.
• To assist with essential course administration and keep up to date with all other relevant documentation.
• Work closely with colleagues to ensure effective communication of the resourcing needs to deliver high quality adventurous activities and experiences.
• To make an active contribution to safety, including any ongoing risk assessment and the diligent use of accident, incident and near miss reporting.
• You must be available for weekend and evening work when necessary.
• You will attend courses, seminars and training sessions deemed appropriate to the employment by the Director of X Adventure.
• To undertake any training and professional development as and when required.
• To undertake any other reasonable duties, commensurate with the job title, as may be determined by the Director.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 35 hours and a TOIL system in place. Shifts to be arranged
Salary : £129.50 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 06/04/2018
Possible Start Date : 16/04/2018
Personal Qualities : • Is adaptable and responsive to new ideas.
• Conscientious and responsible.
• Willing to venture out of your comfort zone and embrace new challenges.
• A positive attitude to all responsibilities and tasks.
• A commitment to promoting environmental awareness.
• A commitment towards developing outdoor activities within the framework of equal opportunities.
• To keep instructor qualifications and experience up to date.
• A commitment to staff development and on-going training.
Skills Required : All Essential
• Ability to motivate and encourage young people and adults, utilising strong communication and people skills.
• The ability to assist with the delivery of safe, purposeful, challenging and fun sessions that meet the needs of the guest.
• Ability to remain calm in difficult situations and identify solutions to problems
• An understanding to setting appropriate professional standards for self and others.
• An understanding that the role isn’t a 09:00 – 17:00 and to be flexible to sessions and programmes running over.
• Supportive and able to enthuse others and maintain a professional image.
• Passion and enthusiasm for the outdoors and developing people.
• Committed to training and developing own skills and abilities.
• Hard worker who is able to work in a team and independently.
• Willingness to be flexible in approach to working and adapt to challenging situations.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evening and weekends.
• Ability to work away from home on expeditions throughout the UK, over durations of up to 14 days.
• A level of fitness commensurate with the demands of the job.
• To be smart and presentable in appearance.
Future Prospects : Training is provided with National recognised qualifications, that can be used in other centres and within the industry country wide.
As a development centre we are looking at the whole person not just qualifications, so the training and the experience of working in this development centre will build upon your confidence and ability to actually make a difference to people's lives.
This apprenticeship will led to you being able to apply for a season role (contract) for the following year at the centre, which is the next rung up the ladder in the outdoor development world.
Around December with all apprentices we work with on a moving on plan to help you on the way with your next step.
You will have a mentor at the centre who will help, support and guide you along your journey and time working for X Adventure.
Training to be Provided : Qualification: Level 2 Intermediate in Activity Leadership
No College Attendance.
Various in house qualifications, training and assessment
4 weeks intensive development training
Expedition away development weekend - Empathy training
Outdoor first aid Level 2 and 3
Tourniquets and Haemostatic Dressing Course Cert
AED Course cert
Safeguarding level 1 and level 2
Conflict Management Training
NNAS Bronze/Silver training & assessments
Further NGB qualifications depending on the individuals passion, enthusiasm and commitment.
Other Information : Pay Rates: The current NMW rate for Apprentices is £3.70 per hour with effect from 1st April 2018. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent in training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Working Week: 35 hours and a TOIL system in place. The Hours are shift and are not 9am - 5pm. Hours are based on the programme being delivered and the aims to be achieved.
Allocated time will be given in working hours to do top up coursework.
Travel to and from the centre is the responsibility of the candidate. Where we are on expeditions with a group transport will be provided.
Shortlisting/Interviews - Shortlisting and interviews will take place throughout the duration of the vacancy ad. This may mean that the vacancy could close before the published cut-off date should suitable candidates be found.
Things to consider : The job requires passion and commitment. Due to the nature of the development work we do, we do not work a set 9am - 5pm day, our day has an outlined programme of what the time of the day could look like, however if the group of young people are experiencing a changing moment then the activities go on until the outcome has been achieved.
We can work long hours on occasions where the programmes are intense.
Our work is outdoors, this includes maintaining the up keep of activities as well as working we groups.
A 'That will do attitude' to our guests, safety and the running of the centre
The map below shows the employer's location